Mangô/banana maki (mango/banana maki) - 巻き
For 4 people (16 makisushi)
- 300g of rice
- mango juice
- Gelatin sheets
- 1.5g of powdered agar-agar
- 1 cup of rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Wash the rice until the water becomes clear, then drain it and put it in the pot with the water.
- Let it soak for 30 min in 300mL of water, then cover and bring to a boil. Let boil 2 to 3 minutes, then put on low heat for about 12 minutes. after cooking, let the rice rest for 10 min.
- In a bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Add this mixture to the rice and mix.
- Then fan the rice for a few minutes, until it is at room temperature.
- Prepare the mango leaf. Mix mango flesh with about 500mL of mango juice.
- Heat the preparation in a saucepan over low heat.
- In the meantime, soften the gelatin by soaking it in a bowl of cold water. Drain there.
- When the mixture is hot, add the agar-agar and gelatin, and heat for two more minutes while stirring.
- Spread the mixture on a smooth baking sheet or in a dish (cover with plastic film beforehand) with a thickness of 1 to 2 mm.
- Refrigerate for half an hour, until the sheet is strong enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, peel and cut the banana and mango into sticks.
- Place plastic film on the bamboo mat (or on a tray) then place the mango leaf on it.
- Spread the rice on top.
- Place the fruit on the rice, then roll the whole thing.
- Cut the roll into 6 pieces using a wet knife.
- Place your maki face up in a dish.
For a simpler recipe, you can replace the mango leaf with a sheet of nori seaweed.